01 February 2011

Un-Biscuits and Gravy

I stink at making biscuits.  They are too short, too crumbly, too hard.  Maybe I don't use the right flour, maybe I don't use a good biscuit cutter, maybe I haven't yet found the right recipe.  Whatever it is, they are usually not a cherished item at the breakfast table. 

This morning, I wanted to make biscuits and gravy but didn't want to make biscuits.  So I did as I grew up doing, took a slice of bread and tore it in pieces to pour the gravy over.  It worked fine, as always.  The gravy was fine too, but the torn up bread made me think of an even better gravy I had growing up.

The first weekend of every September, my dad would get up earlier than the rest of us and go dove hunting in the milo field directly behind our house.  By the time I was up, there would be fried dove on the table with gravy.  We'd take those bread slices, tear them up, and ladle THAT gravy over.  Best in the world.  Oh, and the dove was good too.  I think I remember being cautioned to keep an eye out for bird shot, but I don't remember ever finding any.

I don't know how to fire a shotgun, and Burt doesn't hunt, and we don't live next to a grain field, so I haven't had this very special breakfast in years and years.  So I make do with sausage gravy.  Sigh.

I've considered frying chicken for breakfast to come close to that meal from my past, but I also know that some ideas are probably never going to come to pass, and this is one of them. 

I will extend an invitation to anyone who wants to bring me some dove (cleaned, please).  I will fry it up and make you some fantastic gravy to have over your torn-up bread.  And you can stay for breakfast.

Sausage Gravy
biscuits (or bread torn up into little pieces - that's how we ate it growing up)
sausage, about half a pound
flour
milk

1. Make sure your sausage is not low fat.  You need the fat for the gravy.  If you don't have at least a Tablespoon of fat, just add some bacon grease.

2. Fry the sausage, breaking it up into small pieces.  When it is done, remove it to a plate lined with paper towel to absorb the grease.

3. In the grease left, and with the heat on low, add a little flour.  Stir it in, and add more until you have enough to make it kindof stiff.  This is all by feel and gets easier with practice.
 
4. .After you have gotten your flour stirred into the grease, add some milk, slowly.  keep stirring in more milk until the consistency is what you like.

5. Stir the sausage back into the gravy and put it all in a serving bowl.

No comments:

Post a Comment