08 June 2011

Finally posting. Some Business and Recommendations

It's been a long time coming.  Spring around here is just hectic.  Mulch, weeds, end of school.  Still, rest assured, we are continuing to eat breakfast.  In fact, Burt took the boys on vacation to visit him mother this week, and I was insistent that they have some scrambled eggs, fresh strawberries, and toast before leaving.  (Why am I not going?  Boring stuff, so let's just say that I've been to destination plenty in the last year and needed a break.)

On to the business item: I have another blog, Landscapes and Portraits, which I am going to close out.  This other blog was focused mainly on family life, intellectual life, and interests of mine.  I like it, but I have a LOT more fun blogging about breakfast, and it has seemed almost onerous to continue with blog #1, when I can barely find time to post on blog #2.  Command decision is to discontinue first blog, and perhaps work in elements of it into this one.

Now that we've got that over with, on to my recommedations.  Right before Burt and I were married, my Grandma Demers died, and my parents had a houseful of items to dispense with.  I was given all of the kitchen equipment that I could use.  I'll add that my grandma was not much of a cooker, and there wasn't much, but one item I had was a vegetable peeler.  It has stood me in good stead for 25 years, but finally I noticed that I was having to press harder and harder on it, and decided to replace it.

Do you have any idea how hard it is to find a good peeler?  I bought 4, yes 4 peelers within the span of a year and all have been lemons.  Finally, sick of my complaints, Burt Googled vegetable peelers and found two with superior reviews.  I decided to get both, since one can never have enough peelers, and also backing my odds of finding a good one.  Both, by the way, were just MERELY a tad more expensive than the pieces of junk I had been throwing my money away toward.

The package came, and I immediately tried both right away.  They are different, but both are excellent, and I wonder how in the world I have survived all this time without them.  Suffice it to say that if you have a mediocre peeler, you owe it to yourself to spend 5 or 6 dollars and make your life so much easier.  After all, it's all in the details, right?

So the winners are......

1. KitchenAid Vegetable Peeler.

This was my first choice, as I have always been happy with KitchenAid products.  It gives a deeper peel tham most, taking part of the fruit or vegetable, but it peels well, and without a lot of shenanigins from me, so I like it a lot.


2. Kuhn Vegetable Peeler

This one I would have to say is marginally superior to KitchenAid.  It gives a thinner peel.  It has serrated edges, and I suppose that makes a difference.  It is just amazing at what a difference a decent or even superior peeler makes.

Lesson learned from this: if something is giving you fits, fix it or find a replacement.  Now.  Life is too short to fight a 3 dollar peeler when a 5 dollar one will make your daily life so much less frustrating.

Now that summer is here, please enjoy the fruits and veggies, and use a decent peeler when needed!



No comments:

Post a Comment