19 March 2011

Quest for the Best: Breakfast Cassarole

It is hard to believe, but it's true.  I, Breakfast Queen, have never made a breakfast cassarole.  I had my first at my mother in law's house one Christmas very early in marriage, and I thought it was the best thing I had ever tasted.  It had bread, eggs, sausage, and cream of mushroom soup.  I have the recipe, and yet, I've never tried making it.  Since then, I have had several breakfast cassaroles.  Once, when I was working, we had a group breakfast, and several people brought breakfast cassaroles, and they were all different and all delicious.

I've been thinking about breakfast cassarole lately, and especially about that multi-cassarole spread, and decided that I would begin trying different recipes.  One different recipe per week, until I find the best - or until I get tired of making them.  I'd never run out of recipes, thanks to the internet.

Some areas of importance which I will use to judge these cassaroles by:
  • taste, of course
  • healthy factor - the less processed foods the better
  • ease
  • speed - I know many of these sit overnight, and that is fine, but how long does it take to get to that point?
I may think of other criteria as I go along.  Some recipes are meatless, some feature bread, others potatoes, others grains.  I'll try them all.

If you have a favorite breakfast cassarole that you'd like to share, I'd love to try it

No comments:

Post a Comment